At present there are not many local FDACs, so there may not be one in your area. And if there is one near you, you cannot refer yourself. The local authority decides which cases are suitable for being heard in the FDAC court.

But there are things that you can do if you need help with the sort of difficulties that FDAC helps parents with – especially alcohol and drug misuse, domestic abuse, and parental mental health problems that are putting children in the family at risk of serious harm.

  1. You can get some independent advice if you are unsure about what you and other people, including the local authority, can do if you or they are worried about a child’s safety.  Click on the button to the left.
  1. If the local authority is bringing care proceedings on your child, and there is an FDAC in your area, you can talk to your solicitor and local authority social worker about the possibility of being referred to FDAC.

You can also find out more about the sort of help that FDAC offers to families. Click on the leaflet at the bottom of the page to find out what FDAC tells parents when they first meet them. This is about:

  • what’s different about the FDAC court
  • research about the FDAC way of doing things
  • how parents get into FDAC
  • the FDAC judge and the FDAC specialist team
  • getting help from parents who have been in FDAC themselves
  • the hard work demanded of parents – assessment, treatment, drug and alcohol testing
  • the help you will get – to change your behaviour, deal with trauma, mend broken relationships, be the parent you want to be
  • and how long it all takes.